Disassembly and Cleaning of the Cyclone Assembly from a Dyson DC17 Animal (Vacuum Cleaner)

For Mother's Day last year, I bought Wife a Dyson DC17 Animal vacuum cleaner. While I did considerable research before deciding on the Animal, and I went through considerable planning and effort to get the machine in time for Her day, I didn't score very many "points" with Wife with this marvelous machine. Her reaction was "Oh, a vacuum cleaner - wonderful - you want me to work!". In retrospect, I probably should have stuck to flowers and jewelry instead!

Despite the lukewarm response, the Dyson DC17 Animal really is a wonderful machine, and perhaps the best vacuum cleaner that this family has owned! No, I do not work for Dyson, and I'm not being compensated in any way for writing this article. I simply enjoy the machine, and in particular the lack of dust that spews from virtually every other vacuum cleaner I've ever used. In fact, it's not just me that enjoys the Animal - Kids #1, #2, and #3 all enjoy using the machine, and I attribute this to the lack of dust emitted from the machine and the fact that it seems to maintain its suction throughout the vacuuming task - it's "fun" to use! And since Self and Kids are all having fun doing the vacuuming, Wife never has to - so it really was the perfect Mother's Day gift!


THANK YOU! This article kept me from pitching my Dyson to the road - and wasting another $500 on a new one. Bought you a Dew, wish I could shake your hand while you're drinking it.

Thank you so much for your walkthrough. We recently received a "broken" DC 17 from a neighbor who was going to throw it away. Replacing the broken belt, hole-ridden hose, and a general cleaning hadn't quite brought it back to 100%. Cleaning out the three plugged cyclone holes did the trick. Cheers; we hope you enjoy the beverage(s).

Your instructions and enhanced pictures are top notch. After quickly reading through your instructions I was easily able to disassemble, clean (all of the cyclones were clogged!!) and reassemble the cyclones. Easily worth the donation and my sincerest gratitude for taking the time to share.--Bill

Thanks for the kind words and the donation.  Our DC17 is still in daily use here, and I still use the technique described in this article.  I'm glad it worked for you too!  Tipping a glass your way next time I sit down for a drink!

Thank you for this tutorial, it was very helpful.  My only concern now is that maybe I have done something wrong? Everything went back together seemingly perfect but when I tried to put the cyclone back into the canister it barely fits. I have to tilt it to one side and then push the other side into the canister.  Any thoughts on what I could have done wrong?

There are three gaskets involved which might be causing this:

  • The upper white or semi-translucent gasket which is actually the seal between two of the cyclone parts.  If part of this gasket was not seated properly when you reassembled the cyclone, it could be causing some difficulty when installing the cyclone into the dust bin.
  • A black "waist" gasket which provides a seal between the cyclone and the dust bin.  Make sure this gasket has not become unseated.
  • A black gasket between the cyclone and the dust-bin door at the bottom of the dust bin.  This gasket is easy to accidentally install upside down, and if installed incorrectly will cause problems installing the cyclone and/or closing the dust-bin door.  A hint - the grooves in this gasket match the grooves on the cyclone, and the smooth part of this gasket should be toward the dust-bin door.

I hope this helps!

After reading all this information, I think I will just order a replacement cyclone. It retails for $89.00 I believe and my time and sanity is worth that much.